I recently had a friend ask me to look at his iPod. It would not power on, reset or anything else for that matter. I did notice an odd feedback type output if the headphones were in half way but that was the only life this poor thing could muster. I tore it down and didn’t see anything that jumped out at me. I thought maybe the battery was toast so I was about to order a new battery for it when I removed the front cover. My eyes aren’t what they used to be but I could see what looked like some corrosion on the under side of the main board. I put it under a glass and….well it’s not pretty. In the end it looks like water damage to me.Â Take a look:
I pulled the front cover off and noticed that white cloudy corrosion look you see. This appears to be possible water damage.
Once I put it under a glass you could really see the damage.
Notice the rust on the top right here: