Jeff Avery's Blog Ramblings of a Madman

Any doubts on how tough a Panasonic Toughbook is?

December 27, 2009 / by Jeff Avery

There was recently a fire in a rescue vehicle and one of the guys I work with snapped some photos. If you think a Panasonic Toughbook is not a tough laptop think again. No matter how many times I look at these I still cannot get over them. No one was harmed in the incineration of this laptop.

Here is the CF-29 still in the mount:

In Mount

Still in the Mount

Notice the warped case? Look a little closer for the power light, WiFi, and cellular lights.

on the bench

I especially enjoyed the bubbled metal case clashing with the WiFi card, MP, and charge lights……WT?

bubbles......

No, this is not Photoshoped…

CTRL + Alt + Del

it’s a login screen. Good luck with that keyboard though.

Good luck with that keyboard

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-EnlNiFSdY

8 thoughts on “Any doubts on how tough a Panasonic Toughbook is?

1. CCoburn says:

Hey Jeff- This is great footage. Are you the owner of this Toughbook?

2. Jeff Avery says:

Hi Courtnee,

No, it belongs to my employer. I just did the video and write up on it. It is quite impressive though…..not my video, just the Toughbook ;)

-Jeff

3. CCoburn says:

Hi Jeff,
    I work on the public relations team for Panasonic Toughbooks and think both the Toughbook and your video footage are very cool! I am interested in learning more about your employer’s Panasonic Toughbook surviving the fire. What line of work are you in, and where did the fire take place?
    – Courtnee

4. That the most interesting pics of a panasonic toughbook. All Burnt. I am looking for one that survived a bullet. We have the CF-29 Black Hawk and The CF-29 Toughbook CHROME and it would be a shame to test this but as crazy as it sounds we are reviewing where we can shoot through the machine and the machine remains working.
    We will post the images and results at http://www.PanasonicToughbooks.net.

5. Jeff Avery says:

Hi Patrick,

I don’t think it will survive if the bullet goes through the device. I guess I would not have thought it would survive this either though so what the heck ha, ha. My thoughts are, if the main board ends up with a hole in it you’ll have problems. I’ll keep an eye on the link to see how it goes.

Regards,
    -Jeff

6. Alin says:

Bastante interesante. No he encontrado informacion o prueba mas completa que la que usted nos muestra. Excelente.. “review”.

7. J.L.Quick says:

As a refurbished Panasonic Toughbook salesperson I hear stories all the time about how they are left in trunks, out in the snow, used in the rain, or accidentally dunked in a lake…but your story definitely takes the cake! I will never cease to be amazed by just how much abuse a Toughbook can take and still work!

8. CeliaWhittin says:

I see your page needs some fresh & unique content.
    Writing manually is time consuming, but there is solution for this.
    Just search for: Masquro’s strategies